Monday, April 18, 2005

G4 Titanium Powerbook

Ok so I have now had a G4 powerbook for close to 2 weeks now and I have had the full range of emotions about it. When I got it I was scared I haven’t touched a mac since os7 was new. After a few hours I was excited about this new computing experience and angry that I hadn’t tried it before. I have seen many articles about designers and web developers getting one for kicks and then switching completely and I was starting to feel the same way. I wanted a new desktop and I thought why not get a dual g5. then after 2 days I did a ground up install of the OS and I have to tell you I loved it I have never installed an os without having to know anything my first thought was my mother could do this ( my mom is the woman who thought her email was broken because she wasn’t getting messages she sent to herself as tests so I said “did you hit send/receive?” and she said “hit what ?” her email now works great. ) . Then I had my first thought of “ man that’s stupid windows doesn’t even do that anymore”. After I did a clean install It went right in and wanted to do system updates so me being the windows guy I am I think of course it should want to do updates and let it but I also go around and jack with this new system I have. After about 30 minutes of downloading and installing updates my screen goes dark………… and stays that way ……………….. . I finally have to hard boot the box and it comes to a screen saying something about loading login window ( which is sort of funny ) and sits there doing nothing. Since this is a mac I don’t have a “ press F1 to go to the bios “ so after going ot my other machine I find its hold the “C” to boot from CD. So I have my second experience with the mac OX X install and still love it as much as I did an hour ago on my first experience with the mac OS X install. Then I go in and it wants to do updates and this time I do nothing while it does its updates ( like my OLD WINDOWS 98 OSR1 INSTALL) but this is ok with me since I am a windows guy I am used to having to change how I work based on the version of OS I am installing. So after all of this I now am off and running and I get to the way kewl stuff for example when I got the machine it had MS office on it and a few games all I had to do was copy them to my ipod and then when I was through installing I copied them back. I found out I can even use the ipod as a boot device which just rocks I can use any device I can connect to the machine as a boot device. I then proceed into using the office apps and the few games that were on it and there great. Now for the second blow to me switching to a mac. The second worst thing in computers is getting a new piece of software and installing it and being told you can run this software because your system is to new ( like when I try to run some win 9X apps on win XP they fail but not many ) . so I go to the store and let my son who is 5 buy any game he wants and he got something from some newish movie and we take it home and we install it and we watch it come up with a screen saying “ you must run this in OS 9 compatible mode “ or something like that . now like I said the second worst thing in computers is having to step down to run an app or game the WORST thing is trying to tell a 5 year old why this new game he got for dads new laptop wont work. I don’t like that! So I try to figure out how to run in OS 9 compatible mode and I find out I must first install OS 9 ? ! .. WOW!!!. Some stuff on the mac just works and just works well like when im testing sites for my SEO project or I am righting docs about my SEO project. Something’s just don’t work any better then windows and some of them work worse. So I don’t think im going to convert whole hog this is a sexy laptop and I will keep and use it for some stuff but its really just a toy to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home