Saturday, May 07, 2005

Its all about flowers

I hate flowers. Its strange to me the way a job effects your lifestyle. What do I mean by that well for example in my own life when I worked fast food I got to where I couldn’t stand to eat at any fast food restaurant when I sold jewelry I got the habit of not wearing any for of jewelry ( my wife and I are still working on getting me to wear a wedding ring after almost 7 years ). And now I work for a flower wire service and I have started to hate flowers and the giving of floral gifts. This is strange to me because I have had graphic design jobs and I didn’t start to hate drawing or being creative I have been a dedicated code monkey for the last 3 years and have still not hated for a single second typing a line of code I have even been working on computers for many years over many different jobs and I still spend over half of my disposable income on more computer equipment. So what is it about some jobs that makes me hate the core components of the job. I think it comes down to effort the less effort I have to put into a job the more I seem to come to loath it. With out struggle there is no growth and if there is no growth then it doesn’t involve any type of effort and if I don’t have to think about why not automate it and spend my time doing something else. Every time I think about this subject I remember a time when I was 18 working a fast food job and I was told to straighten ketchup packages in the ketchup bin. When I questioned to reasoning of spending my time doing this the response was since I was on the clock and there were no customers they had to find something for me to do. ……….. ok so there is nothing that I can do that is harder then straitening ketchup packets? Wow then I can just go home and read a book. And that’s why I had the record for the most times to quit at that store but since when I was there and they were busy I was fast and good they would always call and ask me to come back a few days after I quit. I think I have always been that way I don’t feel the need to waste my time and effort on something just for the sake of keeping busy. I worked in an office one time for almost 4 days I had to leave when they told me to make sure to look busy when the boss walked by even if I had nothing to really do ( which seemed to be most of the time from what I was being told). If you have work for me to do great if not I can find something better to do then sit there and look busy. And this brings me back to why I start to hate parts of some jobs its because it seems to me like there is work that can be automated better then having me do it. Then I could spend my weekend with my Sabian ( my son ) or I could be studying for my MCAD or I could even be reading the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy for the 5000th time. Its not that I feel above the task at hand its just that my strengths are in different areas. Ok now I am done whining about having to work and hating flowers and I am going to get back to pulling up the current rankings and then when I get home I am going to write a program that will pull in all the different rankings and the different sites I need to monitor and then I will be done with this work and I can go on to other things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home