Friday, May 06, 2005

Its Mothers Day

Its mothers day and I work for a flower wire service. Once you start working for a flower wire service like Teleflora of FTD you start to look at holidays differently. We have seen an improvement in site ranking on yahoo and some on google as well. It looks like I may have gone to the far extreme on the keywords and put some of the sites on the test into the area of word spam. I am going to pair down the keyword usage and raise the fluff word usage to see if I can get a better content level and also by using fluff words I hope to raise my them score. The hardest part of SEO is the waiting you have to make changes and then wait for a crawl to see how they effected your ranking but at the same time other people are making changes so sometimes its hard to say if any change in ranking is due to you getting better or worse or if one of your competitors has done something better or worse and you are moving because of them changing there spot. I do have some sites that have gone from nothing to being in the top 5 on google and or yahoo but I also have a very few that went the other way so I will now have to start the analysis of what has been done and tweak the sites to make the good ones better and the bad ones good. SEO is such a moving target it could still take months before we know for sure what does and doesn’t help and by how much. But for now it seems that links and content are 2 of the biggest factors another big factor seems to be site size. This helps because the more pages you have in your site the more chances you have to talk about your topic and direct links that are keyword rich to pages in your site. For example if I have a 10 page site with each page having a link with the word flower pointing to my flower page then that’s 10 times I have said I know about flower but if I have a 1000 page site with the same link to my flower page then I have just said I know about flower 1000 times so I must be more confident about flower and this is really the expert on flower. Things that don’t seem to help are keyword and description meta tags these seem to be completely ignored by google and I am sure yahoo and msn will follow suit soon. Which makes sense the search engine makes money off advertising and the more people that can come to your site the more people that will see your advertising. If someone comes to your search engine and always gets bad search results then after a few times they will go else where and as traffic drops so does ad revenue so it is in the best interest of the search engines to keep there results clean and reflective of what people are wanting to find from there searches.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home